10 Tips on Being More Efficient in the New Year
Hey fabric lovers! It’s a new year, and whether or not you’re the type to set intentions or goals, I have yet to meet a person that doesn’t wish they were more efficient- have you?! Right now is the perfect time to make improvements in your life because the New Year is symbolic of a blank canvas! With all the stressors in our world, it is very important to get tasks done efficiently so that we can have time to complete everything without feeling completely burned out and also have the time to enjoy life’s little pearls! This is obviously easier said than done, but it is possible, and after doing some research and drawing from personal experiences, I have put together 10 ways you can stay be more efficient in 2015 and beyond!
1. Make your bed first thing in the morning: I know this seems silly, but when it’s the first thing you do in the morning it will give you a small sense of pride and once you get into the habit of making your bed you will crave a little more organization because you appreciate how it makes your feel. It’s a great start to a highly efficient day. Also who doesn’t like crawling into a nicely made bed at the end of a long day?
2. Make lists, check in on them and check them off: Lists are more important than you think. Having a visual reminder of all the things that you need to get done in a day or a week will not only help you stay on track, but will also help de clutter your mind from all the pending tasks floating around. Then when it comes time to cross that completed task off your list it will give you a great sense of accomplishment! Score!
3. Watch the clock: This is something I am still working on but it is key to getting everything done in one short day. Decide how much time you think each task will take and how much time you have to dedicate to them and then watch the clock to make sure you stay within that allotted time frame.
4. Let go of perfectionism: Sometimes good enough is good enough. Perfectionism tends to waste more time than anything and getting on top of it will get you a lot more time to get other stuff done in one day!
5. Keep learning: Just because you graduated university 10 years ago doesn’t mean you can’t keep learning new things. The most efficient people make a point of learning something new on a daily basis. The world is constantly evolving and so should you! Having this ever changing knowledge under your belt will keep you better prepared for anything.
6. Ask for help: Being able to do everything on your own might be a big boost to your ego, but it will wear you out in the end. Knowing how to delegate accordingly, and pass off tasks when you can, will give you more time to focus on the really important stuff.
7. Take care of yourself: Yes- I know most of you are thinking, “but this is counterintuitive and a huge waste of valuable time!” But it is so important to do something that isn’t tied to work everyday in order to be successful. Being well-rounded and taking time to relax will not only energize you and relax you but will keep you inspired and motivated!
8. Give everything a home: Physical clutter actually effects your mind in a negative way. Having a home for everything makes it easy for you to tidy up and have a clean space to work in which ultimately makes you more productive and relaxed!
9. Learn how to say NO: This one is important and really tough for most people, but learning how to be selective and sticking only to the most important things is key!
10. Stop multitasking: So many of us, myself included fool themselves into thinking they will get more done when they multitask but in fact they are accomplishing less and the quality of the work is poor. Try concentrating on one thing at a time but set time restraints so that you can get it all done. Doing each task separately will ensure that the work you do is done right and won’t need to be done over again, which we all know is the BIGGEST waste of time.
So there you have it! I’m curious- what are some of the things that you do on a daily basis to stay efficient? Let me know in the comments below!